Thursday, February 10, 2005

Thursday Three

Computers today:

1) What was your first computer?

My mom had an IBM PC, one of the first that went on general sale for regular folks. One of these, in fact, though she had a NEC printer that weighed about 100 pounds and sounded like a WWI era machine gun. I myself was given a Commodore 64 as a gift - it may have been a Bar Mitzvah present, but I can't remember. I managed to program a Celsius-Fahrenheit converter, but that's about it. Oh, and I got it to repeat rude sentences over & over on the screen.

2) What is the worst thing you ever encountered dealing with a computer?

Where shall I begin? MicroSatan? Spam? Trying to learn how to program in Access? The hands-down winner for me is Tech Support. Either internal or at a company, I've never had an easy time dealing with them, and most techies I've dealt with have been morons or nasty, or both.

3) What is your favorite piece of software?

Mrs. Skinny, of course.

A distant second would be the database program I use here at the office, Inmagic's DB/Textworks. I can do just about anything with this DB, and in a hundredth of the time it would take to do it in Access. Heck, I could get Terry's "Check Engine Light" to go off with this thing if I wanted to. Adobe's GoLive is another favorite.

4) Big Mac or Whopper?

I'm not much use for this question. My answer is I only eat grilled burgers, and I only eat my own. Which are a mix of ground beef and ground turkey. Does this answer the question?