Thursday, March 16, 2006

Dehydration

I meant to get to this, but life intervened. Anyway, Monday was The Fast of Esther, the precursor to the holiday of Purim. The Book of Esther relates that the Queen fasted for three days prior to seeing King Achashverosh (Ahaseurus is I believe the standard Englsih for it, but that always makes me think of a nasty foot fungus.) We fast as well to commemorate the occasion.

I do not fast well, but things had been better for many earlier fasts. This one was an exception. By the middle of the day I was really headachy and a little spaced. Normally that hits towards the end of the fast, and by 3:30 I called it quits and headed home to rest. By five PM I was feeling nauseous and light headed, so for the first time in many years I broke my fast before it was over. I had some water and plain pasta, and if anything I felt worse than before. That led me to conclude that I had gotten dehydrated, since that's how I felt the last time I got dehydrated.

It's a minor fast - it starts in the morning instead of the night before, and many people I know skip it, but I was kind of disappointed with myself. Not enough to have to go to the ER like the last time, but I do like to try & complete these things.