Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Wow

I just noticed I haven't posted in something like two weeks. Duuno why - I think I run hot & cold on the blogging sometimes. I don't have tons to say sometimes, and frankly much of my life is boring.

Unlike some people, I haven't found a good way of making boring stuff sound interesting.

I did note something the other day which is disturbing me a bit. It was a TV ad for this movie. There appears, from the ad, to be some sort of love story inserted into this thing. At the very least (based on the trailer) they seem to have added some guy's wife into the mix.

The problem is, I've read this book on the Raid. The wives never get mentioned, near as I can recall, beyond the kind of mentions of how all the soldiers missed their wives.

This is the stuff that drives me crazy about Hollywood. The story by itself is riveting. Why does it need to be altered? Is there some clause that says you can't have a movie without a female character/love story? From all I've read on WWII - and I've read pretty thoroughly on the subject - combat in WWII is a man's war. Yes there are nurses, support staff, the home front with plenty of female participation. But the fighting is all about the men. I'm sorry if that's not modern sensibility, but unless you're looking at the Soviet troops, there aren't any women involved in combat, and not in most of the rest of war work.

One of these days I'd like to see them do a movie like this without having to muck around with the story. It's unneccesary, and insulting to the men who performed this miracle (much less the courageous men who survived their imprisonment.) I can't stand it when the entertainment industry screws around with history. It's interesting enough on its own, if any of those morons could remember how to tell a story properly.

I may have to skip this one.