Thursday, October 26, 2006

T3 - OK Pal, where's the fire?

Late questions, and even later answers:

1. Have you ever been stopped by the police for a driving infraction?

Twice - once about two years ago, and once about two months ago.

2. What was the cause?

48 in a 20 (school zone) and the last one was for driving with my lights off. The latter was kinda freaky - I passed a couple of cop cars on my way home from hockey, and I watched my speed. A block or two later, I get the flashing blues in the rearview. So I signal right & pull over. Officer comes up, says "sir, did you know you're driving with no lights?" No, because I had had the Accord about a week, and the dash lights are on all the time. I didn't notice I hadn't turned the outside lights on. He looks in the back seat, sees the hockey sticks & says, "oh, you were playing hockey down at the rink? Well, please drive carefully. We got a call of shots fired, and when you see a car driving with no lights, it often means something's up." I turned the lights on & drove home very carefully.

3. How much was the ticket?

over $100. I just paid it without fighting it.

Optional: Have you ever taken a defensive driving course to mitigate punishment?

Yep - on that one ticket, which is my only one in 18 years of driving. I did take it once before for insurance reasons, where I sat next to a friend working off a ticket for doing 85. Which would be acceptable, except for one detail. He was driving an RV at the time.