Monday, November 27, 2006

Turkey Day Roundup

So, how was everything? In Order:

  • Turkey - Fabulous. We didn't really have enough leftovers for the Shabbos guests as planned since everybody ate so much. I had to grill chickens on Friday to make up for it.
  • Gravy - Ask the Mrs. She seemed happy.
  • Rolls - Thanks Mom!
  • Cranberry Sauce - Pureed. Mrs. had the bright idea to run the immersion blender, as she actually doesn't like big cranberry bits. We thought of sticking it in an empty can just to get the lines on it.
  • Corn Muffins - I can admit it now Thanksgiving is over. They had sugar in them. They went over well with all my ignorant Yankee relatives anyway.
  • Mashed Spuds - Fine
  • Sweet Pertaters - UNBELIEVABLE. That's mostly because I REALLY like onions, and this was full of 'em.
  • Chestnut Stuffing - I didn't try it.
  • Sausage Stuffing - Came out extremely well. As it turned out the package of what I thought was Andouille sausage was actually southwest, so there was no debate over spicy/not spicy.
  • Apple Pie - Became apple tart. Mom couldn't find her pie pans. It was good, but she keeps using tart apples and it ends up sharper than I'd like.
  • [Possibly] Chocolate Cake - Definitely chocolate cake. We had enough time to get it done.
On the whole it's one of the most relaxed T-Days I can remember having. We were organized, ready on time, and the table was set by 10:30 for a 4:30 start. We barely entertained the children and they behaved well all day anyway. Usually when we're at my mom's she's so insane it ends up tense. Instead we had a lovely, relaxed dinner.

(And, like all good Thanksgivings, I was able to recycle the leftovers of Wednesday's blogpost into this one.)