Friday, December 29, 2006

Neat Little Tool

If you're a Firefox user, as I am, this little number is kinda cool:

Favicon Picker

You have probably noticed by now that the cool kids' sites (like Jordana's) have these little icons that appear in your bookmark list if you've bookmarked the site. I don't have one myself, but I noticed recently that several sites I have bookmarked had them, but the wrong one. Terry's site had a Yahoo icon, and our company intranet had a google icon for some reason.

The Favicon Picker extension allows you do edit, change, and delete favicons from your bookmark list. All it does is add the favicon property to the properties of your bookmark, and gives you the option to get rid of the icon. So I'm sorry, Terry, but you're not really Yahoo anyway, so I removed the icon.

Incidentally, if you'd like to make your own favicon, this site looks promising, though I haven't tried it. You basically need to be able to save a graphic image at the right size as a *.ico file, but most graphic programs won't do it. There's some shareware out there that will do it too, but I think the site I listed will do it free and give you the code you need to make it work on your web page/blog/whatever.

Skinnyblog - your site for even less useful stuff than Possumblog