Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Late to be mentioning

last weekend, but this was a good one. Or at least it's funny now.

We had guests for shabbat lunch, a couple with two kids around our kids' ages. All is well, all are playing happily. Until...

husband goes upstairs to help his younger kid out with something. "Ummm, maybe you should come up here"

My oldest child is standing on the toilet in the bathroom. Wearing just her underwear and a smile. Guest's oldest is standing near the sink, clothed but also grinning. The floor is covered with water. One (happily small) tube of toothpaste is squeezed empty. One bottle of toothpaste is missing (found it later, much emptied behind the door). Dress-up clothes are hanging on the doorknob, soaking wet. Tissue box is empty. Soap pump bottle is empty, and the pump top is hanging loose.

So I take oldest into our room, raise my voice a bit, and ask her to explain. She mumbles, she stammers, she gives no answer. She is now in Jail (think super time out), and not to move until I come back. We end the lunch (it was long over anyway & we had been just chatting), and I try & get answers. Mrs. tries to get answers. Dessert is banned until Tuesday.

Finally, we get it out of them. Mine decided it was time to brush her teeth. They both decided to taste some toothpaste. The other child thought it would be fun to open the soap up. They left the water running. They tried to clean it with tissues. I told her I was more upset that she wouldn't tell me what happened.

We did work it all out eventually, I THINK she understands now, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to survive parenthood.

I guess I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue.