Thursday, June 08, 2006

Once again

I have been humongously busy. Between streaming media, intranet meetings, and (believe it or not), actual archival work for the first time in a while, I have had very little time to breathe or do other essential life tasks. Like blogging.

Last week was also the Shavuot holiday, wherein lots of dairy is eaten and we are supposed to involve ourselves in the study of Torah. It being the anniversary of the meeting with God at Mount Sinai. To start off, I intended to leave on Thursday last week (holiday eve) on the early side, but I actually had three separate reference requests on the one day, each of which took a bit of time. When you consider I'm averaging around 75 requests a year, you can see why this is an oddity. Add that to the last minute electronic crises, and one day where I really wanted to hit the road early, I ended up here a lot longer than planned.

We had guests coming, but fortunately I had made the Ice Cream earlier in the week, and the wife is a wonderful woman who handled most of the cooking and all of the cleaning. Guests arrived with dog, baby, and themselves, and we had a lovely time. Not enough sleep over the two days, but that's life. Oldest had her dance recital on Sunday, which the wife of our friends and my mom joined us at. Oldest was cute, but there were certain oddities about the recital. The teachers always do a big dance number at the end (which is often nice to look at), but I thought the musical choice was a bit odd. They were dancing to a gospel number.

Which is fine, except for one detail. See, there are a ton of Jewish kids at this dance studio, and they were kind enough to schedule all the Jewish kids for the first of the three shows at 9AM. Which they did because the Israel Day Parade was happening in NYC that day, and they wanted to let us all get there. (We didn't actually go to it, but that's just us). So they're dancing to gospel, with it's usual mentions of Jesus. To a room full of nobody but Jews.

I'd also point out that there was a little more rump shaking among the 5-8 year olds than I thought entirely appropriate. I can't say it bothered me so much with the teachers (though again, perhaps a little inappropriate for a gospel tune), but I'd vote for less suggestiveness with kids so young.

So that's where I've been.