Friday, September 09, 2005

One minor note

before I head up to the employee BBQ they run every year. No kosher food, unfortunately, but the soda is free and it's company-sponsored hooky, so who am I to argue?

I mentioned the other day that the printer (requiring no special assembly at all) was due to arrive sometime next week. The computer, requiring a certain amount of speciality, was enroute and in fact they attempted to deliver it yesterday AM.

Regardless of all the suggested delivery plans, I come home from work and oldest says "daddy, your printer's here." I ask wife (missing completely the box sitting by the back door) "Printer? the printer's supposed to get here next week?" Says she "I dunno, but there it is."

So, the delivery works out as follows. Computer, set to be delivered yesterday, arrives around 10 AM on Truck #1; no answer, leave a tag to pick up or it will be redelivered tomorrow (i.e., today). Printer, set to be delivered next Wednesday, arrives on truck #2 at 2PM, and is simply left on the back porch in view of all passersby. Computer is then picked up by me at the FedEx location after 7PM, and brought home.

Somehow I can't help feeling there are some inefficiencies here that could have been avoided. But I suppose they ship a million packages a day, so they must know better.