Thursday, January 19, 2006

I must object...

"To sit in solemn silence in a dull dark dock
in a pestilential prison with a life-long lock
awaiting the sensation of a short sharp shock
of a cheap and chippy chopper on a big black block."

Yes, I know the G & S post was from last week, but the concept of protest, subject of this week's Thursday Three, brought that snippet to mind.

Anyway, to the Inquisition:

1. Have you ever been involved in a protest?

Sorta. The Chancellor of the City University of New York spoke at my college graduation, and people stood up & turned their backs on her in protest over budget cuts. Halfway through her interminable speech my legs cramped up, so I stood to stretch & figured I was halfway there, so I turned around too.

2. Have you been an active member of a political party and campaign?

Member, yes. Active, no. I was for a time a registered Republican, and I have since gone to no party affiliation. I was also buddies with the folks at Student Government at above mentioned college, and I hung around their office a lot (and yes, there were some attractive women there), so if that counts as active, I guess I'm in.

3. What was the big movement of your generation?

I guess that depends. Assuming my g-g-g-generation begins when I was a teenager, there was Big Hair, Big Wall Street Bucks, and Bigtime Drug Use. Sheltered as I was in a yeshiva, I missed most of it. Looking back on it now, if I had to say what ended up as the most impactful movement, I'll go with the Reagan Revolution. I don't think anyone wanted to realize it then, but most of what's happened since was caused directly by Reagan's actions as president.