Thursday, January 05, 2006

Just heard

something interesting on Limbaugh. I'm not a steady listener, but I think he's got some good points amidst a lot of loud bluster. I believe he's right more often than not, but there's an abrasiveness I could do without.

Anyway, a caller pointed out that McCain is getting credit via McCain-Feingold for outing and nailing down Jack Abramoff. If you've missed that particular piece of news, Abramoff is a lobbyist who one way or another has in effect been spreading bribes. How it's different from all the other lobbyists out there is beyond me, but apparently he's worse. (As an aside, I should point out that he's supposed to be an orthodox Jew, but the Judaism I know does not condone his actions.)

The big problem, as the caller pointed out, is that McCain-Feingold SPECIFICALLY exempted Indian tribes from its provisions. Abramoff was taking advantage of a gaping loophole in the legislation, and thus McCain himself created the whole Abramoff situation.

I've come around to the Conservative position on M-F. I had no particular opinion on it when it was originally introduced, catching only soundbites on TV. Now I believe it's deliberately and unconstitutionally restricting free speech, and clearly it's just forcing the snakes, both in congress and in the lobbying world, to find new and equally disingenuous ways of buying votes & influence.

I'll also point out here that in contrast to my post on Reagan, I'm thoroughly disgusted with John McCain. Like all of them, he's a self-centered bully, but on top of it he's a disgrace to the party of limited government. He's been referred to as a RINO, and I suppose that's true. But for a guy who went through a Vietnamese prison camp to act this cavalierly with the freedoms and safety of the American people (c.f. his anti-torture bill) is embarrasing.