Monday, May 22, 2006

Interesting day

and in a good way. I spend mid-morning visiting with a home-based audio restorer. I have a number of record albums I finally decided needed some attention, and lucky for me several consultants live in the area. I took the albums, which are actually on-the-fly transcripts of some radio programs, for an evaluation.

This guy and my dad would have a field day together. In addition to being a sound and audio nut, he's also got a model train layout in his basement. The guy knows his stuff, but he's also a talker. Deeply interested in the subject of audio, and even has a machine able to play wire recordings. I have some other vendors to talk to, but it's fun, if a little overwhelming, to meet a guy this into something.

And then this afternoon, the boss stops me in the hall and asks me to provide some photos to the Chairman of the Board. And suggests I email him directly. After the last CEO I met, I admit to a little skepticism about the powers of the powerful. That guy was a lightweight if I ever met one. But this one's supposed to be different, and it never hurts to be able to respond quickly to the Capo di tutti Capo.

It may not result in a raise, but it's good to come through when you're asked to do something. You never know where it might go.