Thursday, May 18, 2006

On a far lighter note...

get it? Note? Music? Huh? Huh?

T3 appears to have been caused by me. I sincerely apologize if you were offended by anything.

1) What sort of music did your parents listen to when you were young that you liked?

Per last week, my dad had a collection of novelty songs and Fats Waller tunes I used to love. He's recreated the collection on CD for my kids, and I remember some of them fondly. My mom likes opera, so I hated her stuff, though I have developed a taste for Gilbert & Sullivan, which used to be right up her singing alley.

2) If you have kids, is there anything you listen to that THEY like? (If you don’t have kids, you are free to make up anything to go here.)

Hard to say. Some of the classical music goes over OK, and Mrs. sings a lot of what I would probably describe as 60s era hippy folky stuff for bedtime songs, which they like. Some of the Dire Straits has gone over OK. I need to work on that with them.

3) What was the first recorded music (of whatever medium--wax cylinder, 78 or 45 discs, vinyl LP, RTR, 8-track, cassette, CD, downloaded MP3) you ever bought with your own money?

Tough call - I don't remember precisely, though for some reason a John Mellencamp album is occurring to me. I did pick up a few 45s here and there, in addition to swiping some things from my dad's collection. It was all stuff he had to learn for Bat Mitzvahs, not his taste. Terry's dad and mine would have had a bit to talk about, musically.

For the record (Two! two puns in one post!) I remember a 45 he had by Men at Work with the most obscure B-side. It was called "Till the Money Runs Out", and I recall those were the only words, repeated about 72 times.