Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The weekend

was, on the whole, very nice. We had planned a trip down to DC, but decided last week it was just more than we could handle, what with oldest being sick and Shavuot coming up. Instead we stayed home, and had guests for shabbos lunch, which included strawberry-rhubarb cake for dessert. We belong to a CSA around here, where we get 27 weeks of fruits & veggies from this organic farm way out in Suffolk County.

The first weeks are usually a little thin, and we're splitting this year with some friends, but the rhubarb showed up and we decided we'd take a shot at the cake. Well, Mrs. did. I just let her do what she wanted with it. The cake turned out fabulous, and we had enough to make three. Which was good, since one family we invited for lunch had a bunch of sickies in the house, so they had to cancel. We sent a care package over, including an extra cake, so it's almost like we had lunch with them.

I spent Sunday puttering around the house. I finally fixed the loose banister, which I think got loose because the chewing gum they stuck it up with finally lost it's stickiness. At a friend's suggestion, I drilled a hole in it and screwed it directly into the stud I hope is in the wall. It seems solid, so... I also went around the house with a bucket of joint compound and a putty knife filling in various holes in the wall. And finally, I replaced the anchors that were barely holding in the curtain rod in the dining room, so it seems a lot more secure now.

Monday was spent doing various things to prepare for the holiday - mostly making ice cream. There was a parade in the morning, which I took the kids to at the end. For the first time ever I thought of our town as being the kind of small town you see in the movies. Boy scouts, old cars, Kiwanis, the whole thing. There's even a local historical society, which you would think I would've known of.

We had our neighbors over for a BBQ, which involved burgers, hot dogs, corn, and these kosher andouille sausages I found at the store. Too spicy for everyone else, but I liked them. On the whole, I was well fed (by myself) last night.

So, not an exciting Memorial Day Weekend, but a good one nonetheless.