Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thursday Three - What's that Smell?

1. What smells do you most closely associate with your childhood home or hometown?

Hard to recall this one for some reason. Certainly my mother's baking brings back memories - mostly chocolate chip cookies. There was always a certain car exhaust smell - not strong, but noticeable, that I always associated with my dad's car in the garage.

2. What landmark do you remember about your hometown that no longer exists?

Easy one. The World Trade Center. I said at the time that on a clear day I could see them from the park near my house, probably about 10 miles away as the crow flies. I was up on the top twice - once on the outside observation deck, once at Windows on the World. A friend works in the nearby World Financial Center, and I was there, walking through the underground mezzanines probably two dozen times. They were a part of my childhood, and now of course they're gone.

3. What sounds do you recall distinctly from your childhood?

Music. My dad at the piano in the house, playing stuff I liked, stuff he liked. I remember especially a time when his likes and mine coincided far more than they do now.