Thursday, February 09, 2006

Late T3

Considering I gave Terry grief 20 full minutes after he posted the Qs, you'd think I'd have gotten on it. Truth is, I know very little about the subject. Hence I'm posting on it anyway, to bring my lack of knowledge right to the fore.

1. In your own hometown, what is the best public building?

The one where they give out all the free money and ponies. And Ice Cream. If you mean the most attractive, I will expand my area to include New York City. Lacking any other inspiration, I thought of the Federal Courthouse in Foley Square in lower Manhattan. It's not a great picture, but I think of it as what they were thinking when they said "let's build a courthouse. I've also always thought Grand Central had a lot going for it.

2. Again, thinking of where you live, what is the worst public building?

No strong opinions, or pictures here. Nassau County doesn't have a ton of really attractive municipal buildings, not that I've noticed much.

3. And finally, either in your own hometown or just in general, what do you consider the best modern public building? (For the sake of argument, let’s let “modern” mean anything done since 1962, and not necessarily tied to the Modern style. Purely arbitrary, I know.)

I'm skipping this one. I have no idea. Castles and Cathedrals are more my style. Come to think of it, here's . St. John the Divine. The scaffolding has been up for years, as their genuine, actual stonemasons work on the outside. They'll be at it for a while.