Monday, February 13, 2006

Let me say this

about that. I like snow as much as the next guy. It's pretty to look at. Fun to play in. I even went so far as to travel 400 miles each way to spend time in the stuff.

But.

But.

As I said up in Vermont, the snow is MUCH nicer when somebody else has to shovel it. As you might have seen, there was a tiny little storm that went past my little slice of suburban heaven yesterday. I went out Saturday night, and the white stuff was coming down, but not sticking. I had to drop something off that was due yesterday, and Mrs. really wanted some of the Dublin Mudslide ice cream we had in Vt. I figured a spare container of milk was also a good idea, so better to go out while it's not sticking.

I looked out again around 11:30, and boy oh boy was it sticking. Our planned trip to New Jersey to see friends was likely not happening, and it did in fact get cancelled (we've been trying to see them for a year and a half, and every time something comes up. I think the snow might have been because we tried to see them again.) When I got up Sunday AM, there was clearly at least a foot outside already, with no signs of slowing. I figured there was no point going out in it until it slowed down, so to keep the kiddies occupied we made sugar cookies with cookie cutters. Younger child lost interest pretty quickly, but older was with me till the end, about 2 1/2 hours later.

By that point we probably had close to 18 inches, but I figured better to do it in stages than try & get 25 inches off at once. The kids got bundled & went out to play, and I, thankfully, went across to our neighbors where our shared snowblower is lodged. And thank heavens for that gas powered, 5 HP bad boy. I got through our corner property in about 25 minutes, and it would have taken an hour and a half by hand. Truth is, by the time I was done there was another inch on the ground again already. Add the windblown stuff, and I still had to go over it again later. We played in the snow a bit, cleared off the cars, and went back into the house to cook sausage and peppers for the dinner we had planned with nearby friends.

Dinner was lovely, and then back home inside & out of the cold & snow. I think I'm ready for spring.