Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Bar Mitzvah

incidentally, was very nice. The food was good, the kid read his Torah portion beautifully, and we really got a chance to catch up with some folks we haven't seen in a while. I cannot tell my cousins' hordes of children apart, but there were so many people running around I was confused anyway.

You may recall a while back I wrote about the accused abuser in my alma mater. I did take the opportunity to ask my uncle, who is more dialed in to the Brooklyn orthodox world, his opinion of the matter. He didn't surprise me with his response, but I think he disappointed me a bit. While he fully condemns the actions of the molester, he's more upset with the news people for making an issue out of it. He seems to think they just want to make organized religion look bad.

I grant that's true to some degree, but for my money that simply avoids the question. If anything, that is proof to me that we need to be better than everyone else. If they're looking to make us look bad, why give them ammunition? Behave holier than the secular world (not holier than thou, but actually holier) and what will they have to write about?

Don't get me wrong - my uncle is one of the decentest, most honest, and most observant people I know. I think, however, he still has his blind spots. As we all do, I suppose.