Thursday, August 03, 2006

A real conversation

I had on the Metro on Wednesday (as best I remember it):

Guy on my left: Excuse me, does that on your head mean you're Jewish?
Me: Yes it does
GOML: so, does that mean you don't believe in Jesus Christ?
M: Yes, that's right
GOML: So, you've never seen the evidence of his power on earth?
M: I can't say that I have
GOML: So, what do you believe in?
M: Well, what you know of as God the Father is all we believe in.
GOML: How can you make it through without knowing him?
M: Well, we had 1500 years of tradition before Jesus arrived, and it's good enough for us

At this point, my stop has arrived, and I make my apologies for cutting short our talk.

GOML: Well, I hope you can find his truth someday.
M: uh, Ok, thanks.

He then gets up to get off too, and I half think we're going to continue this, but he heads off another way. It was very polite, and the first time I've been proselytized to in a while. I know many of you regulars are strong in your Christian faith, and spreading the word is an important task for you, but allow me to offer some unsolicited advice. If you see a guy in a kipah walking down the street, feel free to discuss faith wth him.

But don't bother trying to convert him. As Johnnie Cochrane might say, "If he's wearing a lid, he's a real yid." Not much chance he's open to alternative approaches. But I have a feeling most of you knew that already.