Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Let me say this

about Canadians. They seem to better understand the need for tradition and memory than we do here in America. Case in point - the Edmonton Oilers are planning two days of celebrations as they retire Mark Messier's jersey sweater.

I happen to think Messier's impact on New York was far greater, overall. The psychological issues with no cups in 54 years were immense for the team and the fans, and regardless of all the other great players that won the Cup in '94, that was Messier's team. He taught them how to win, and carried them when he needed to.

His impact in Edmonton was lessened to my mind by a number of factors: they hadn't been around as long by the time they won it all; it was a team full of other phenomenal players; and of course, Gretzky was King (well, he became a King later, but you know what I mean.) Don't get me wrong - I think he meant an enormous amount to the Oilers, but I think Messier owned New York for a while in a way he never quite did Edmonton, if only for the fact that NY is a different level of stage.

I don't think the Rangers have shortchanged Messier in any way. I watched his retirement ceremony, and it was a wonder to behold. Yet leave it to the Oilers to take two days to do it right, and to make sure the Coyotes are in town so Gretzky doesn't have to make any special arrangements to be there. Moose's jersey joins some of the greats of the game in the building where he honed his craft (Rexall Palace indeed - Northlands Coliseum as it used to be before they had to name everything after a corporation, including I imagine the urinals) and they do him the honor he deserves.

Good on ya, eh?