Thursday, January 25, 2007

On a more positive note

I type these posts on my old computer which has been wiped completely and utterly clean of everything else I had on it. For all intents and purposes, there's no remnant of all the years of crap I used to have on it before. I used something called Darik Nuke & Boot to wipe everything off.

WARNING!!!!

I do NOT recommend this unless you have an actual full copy of an operating system available to install. Or if you actually want to save anything on the hard drive in question. In my case, all the files were moved to my new(ish) laptop probably close to a year ago, and I'd been meaning to clean the old one up for months. Unfortunately, the disks they give you with a new laptop are recovery only, not install on another PC.

So with my Microsoft bux, I got a clean version of Windows XP Pro, and after three installs, including the aforementioned nucular meltdown, I have a pretty clean slate here to install all kinds of different junk from the junk I had before.

On the downside, I checked out a memory site online, and apparently I've maxed this thing out at 256 (!?!?!?) MB of memory, which is not going to cut it if I want to do much of anything. I wonder what would happen if I put a coupla 1GB chips in...