Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Archives of Interest

Feeling a bit international, I went looking for something overseas. There's a member of one of my email lists from Wales, and for some reason it made me think to find a Welsh archive today.

So, without further ado, the National Library of Wales. I leave it up to the reader if they prefer to read it in English or Welsh. The latter is one of those languages with a few too many consonants for my taste, but Hebrew comes with it's own issues, so I shouldn't complain. Once again they have a useful interactive catalog here. I object to its simplicity, though. It's helpful to have a few more fields to search on, or at least add a link to an advanced search. If you're just browsing, it's hard to know where to begin. A minor quibble, anyway.

There's a neat section on Crime and Punishment from the Circuit Courts in Wales from the 18-19th centuries. Fun reading, if you like that sort of thing.