Thursday, February 24, 2005

Catching up

Part of the reason I've been non-bloggy this week is I had Monday off, and it seems to have thrown off my rhythm. We had a nice weekend, including Friday night dinner guests. That's pretty unusual, given the smallness of my children and the smallness of most of our friends' kids.

Nonetheless, we had people over for dinner, which was fun but tiring. I can normally count on being asleep on the couch by 8:15, and this time nobody went home till 9:30. And then we had to clean up after. Such problems. The pot roast & Chicken soup were delicious, so it worked out OK.

Sunday began the project Mrs. has been talking about for a while. Normally projects take like 6 months from conception to actual work, but that's mostly because I'm lazy. Anyway, she decided a while back that our formerly white or offwhite dining room chair cushions needed replacing. Their currest shade of "Foodspill Grey" was unattractive enough, so I was game.

Now, I'm sort of handy. I've hung ceiling fans & other fixtures, and I have a decent idea of which is the business end of a screwdriver. But I am by no means Bob Vila. Or Norm Abrams, either. I had spoken to a handy friend about the idea of the chair recovering, and mentioned the idea of renting a fabric stapler for it. He said "Ridiculous. Cost you 30-40 bucks. Buy an electric staplegun for 30, & then you'll always have it."

Buy tools. SURE! So I got a new toy, and Sunday & Monday we did one chair each day. It might have been more, but we're newbies, and the children are a tiny bit interfering. If there's no hockey tonight we'll try & do another one, so maybe by next week we'll have all 6 done. I'm actually pretty proud of getting this far, frankly.

In other great news, I got handed a consulting job on a plate. Funny how by complete word of mouth I've gotten my last three jobs (2 permanent, and this temporary one.) A medical archivy acquaintance suggested me to these folks, and here I am. A chunk of unexpected change, and more fun with anniversary exhibits.

So, that's my week. Wasn't that interesting, was it?