Monday, July 18, 2005

Brief MoronProject Update

Things are not going as swimmingly as they might, but that's why I bought cheap wood. My plan had been to countersink holes where the screws were going, then cut plugs to fill the space. That may have been a tad ambitious. The first of the three frames I attempted to build came out with more twists than Chubby Checker, and the wood basically splintered where I attempted the countersinks.

Sigh.

A trip to Big Orange provided replacement cheap wood, as well as a set of router bits (and a dehumidifier for the basement, but that's a separate issue). So the Official First Screw-up became the First Official Practice Piece, and I got to try the router out. I learned two things:

1) There is a steep learning curve for the router - I got a LOT of practicing to do
2) I need a MUCH better workspace. I need a workbench or something better than the extremely cheap folding worktable I bought a few years ago.

The signs of a proper MoronProject - each step requires more tools and greater expenditures of money.