Wednesday, July 13, 2005

a sudden impulse

to begin implementing the long dormant moronproject™ part of my soul. For some time I have had the impulse to try my hand at woodworking. Not quite ready for "I'm a Lumberjack", but I figured I'd like to have some kind of shop where I could do, ya know, stuff.

I had several vague ideas for a project, but never worked up the nerve. My folks had bought me various saws, so I had a few things in hand to use, but nothing to use them on. Then Mrs. brings up the idea that she's sick of our entertainment unit, and wants to buy a new one. We have owned at least three in our marriage, and she's happy enough with the one that's taking up basement space. The problem is it has no room for my stereo equipment.

You, I'm sure, can see the dim, 25-watt moronbulb™ going off in my tiny little brain. Why buy a new cabinet made of cheap wood when I could make one from cheap wood? So I sat & doodled last week during a particularly meaningless stretch of workday, and came up with a basic plan for an audio cabinet. I did some looking for a predesigned cabinet, but found nothing to meet my needs. I really wasn't looking to store a widescreen HD plasma TV, just a few basic audio components. I just wanna store the old Victrola, OK?

So Sunday night, 45 minutes before they close, I'm off to Lowe's. The previously de-seated Odyssey was all set, and why delay a morontrip™? So I go pick up hinges, and lid props, and paint, and polyurethane, and... and... I NEED a powertool! So I got a router. Not sure how to use it, or whether it will work for this stupidity, but I got one.

Then, WOOD. I like the smell of wood. So I got all kinds of stuff, and a whole sheet of plywood will fit in a deseated Odyssey. Cool. Home, unload, put the seats back in, collapse into bed.