Tuesday, May 03, 2005

In the middle

there were days off. I took the kids to the zoo on Tuesday while the Mrs. & hostess took a girl's day. We drove down to Richmond, VA to meet an online friend of the Mrs., where the ipod got a workout.

I LOVE this thing. Mrs. took a bag full of CDs down in the car, and I took twice as much music on something the size of a wallet. She bought it from a place that included speakers, a rubber case, and this FM transmitter. That thing is fabulous - you can use it to play the Ipod through the car speakers. Man, this thing is cool.

Thursday I got a morning to myself - Mrs. let me out very graciously, and I went down to the new Air & Space facility at Dulles Airport. Very cool - they have an SR-71 on display, a space shuttle, the Enola Gay, and a bunch of other things. Other than the CF card on my camera crapping out three times (so I lost all my photos, grrr) I had a grand old time.

I spent Friday changing light switches and electrical outlets for our hostess (I also put up a light fixture, replacing the one that was hanging down around my navel), and cooking. Then came the last days of the holiday, more food, visits with some other friends in the neighborhood, etc.

I should briefly mention our host's dog. I don't like animals as a rule (few Orthodox people in my hometown had pets), but this one is fabulous. He's a 3 year old Golden Retriever, and just as sweet as can be. He was great with the kids, and friendly to me, and we had a great time.

The last bit was getting home. We put the kids to bed at the normal time, and after the holiday ended at around 8:45, we packed like crazy in order to hit the road around 10PM. I didn't want to have to take another day off work, and if we had left DC at 4AM, we would have hit smack into NY rush hour traffic. Pizza was served (cooked all the way through, which is rare for post-Passover), we got the kids into the car, & hit the road at about 10:30.

Everybody else slept, I drove straight through, & got home at 3AM. As it is I would have been underslept yesterday, but then the kids woke up at 3:15 and refused to play alone or go back to sleep. So I slept from about 5AM to 8:30, dragged into work, and slept through most of the day. You can understand I was a little out of it yesterday. On the other hand, since we never passovered the kitchen, we didn't have to unpassover it either.

So, that's Passover, and now I gotta get to work.