Thursday, May 12, 2005

T3, Non-possum flavored

The boy participates, but does not originate. Thanks to Jordana for hostessing the weekly shindig.

(1) Who was the most memorable (good or bad) graduation speaker at a ceremony you've attended -- not necessarily your own?

I vaguely remember the then-Chancellor of the City University of New York speaking at my college graduation. I heard nothing of the speech, but it was marked by the ritualized turning of the back on her Chancellorship. I stood up & turned my back too, but only because I was tired of sitting. I would guess my favorite grad speech was from high school, where a buddy of mine gave a short speech. He had come over to the US from what was then the current Soviet Union at the age of ten. I was proud of him for making it as far as he did, and I still am. He's one of the few people from high school I still talk to. Plus he's my accountant.

(2) Approximately how many graduation ceremonies have you been in as a graduate and how many others have you gone to?

3 as a grad (elementary, high school, and college), and two as a guest. One was for my girlfriend's high school graduation, the other for my brother's PhD. I might have gone to his college one too, but I can't recall.

(3) After finishing high school and/or college what did you do for the summer?

I think I took summer college classes the first summer out of high school. I bummed around for the entire year after college before I entered grad school, so I suspect the summer was spent as a lazy, shiftless layabout.

Bonus Question:

What was your favorite graduation gift?

Probably the Stutz-Bearcat I got for graduating from kindergarten. I have no idea - I have no memory of any specific gift.